Wisconsin Ranks High on Golf Digest's 2013 Best Public Course Lists
The Badger State
By Paul Seifert
Last week, Golf Digest released their 2013 rankings for the country's best public courses, and, as expected... Wisconsin rolled! Some highlights for me included:
Wisconsin courses highlighted:
* The Straits course at Whistling Straits moved up to #2, just behind Pebble Beach - I am hoping and praying that 2013 will finally be the year I get to experience it for myself!
* Erin Hills debuted in the annual rankings at #10, nestled between the esteemed TPC Sawgrass and Spyglass Hill
* The River course at Blackwolf Run up to #14
* The Irish course at Whistling Straits down to #39
* The Meadow Valleys course at Blackwolf Run fell to #62
* The Bull at Pinehurst Farms moved up eleven spots to #77
Other rankings of particular interest to me included:
* Acadia Bluffs (Arcadia, MI) moved up to #13 - I will find a way to play it in 2013!
* The site of this weekend's Hyundai Tournament of Champions, Kapalua's Plantation Course (Kapalua, HI) #19, one spot ahead of the Quarry at Giant's Ridge (Bibawik, MN) - another course I am hoping to play in 2013
* My beloved Chambers Bay (University Place, WA) stayed at #25
* Ponghorn (Bend, OR), which I am hoping to play in September, dropped to #28
* Torrey Pines South Course (La Jolla, CA), host of the Farmers Insurance Open, up to #38
* The Wilderness at Fortune Bay (Tower, MN), one of the most magnificent courses I have ever played, fell to #59
* Ghost Creek at Pumpkin Ridge (North Plains, OR), which I am also hoping to play in September, moved up to #63
* Cog Hill #4 Dubsdread (Lemont, IL) dropped to #64
* The Links/Quarry duo at Bay Harbor (Bay Harbor, MI) moved up to #65 - another destination I am hoping to put a trip together for this upcoming season
* World Woods (Brooksville, FL), a course I am hoping to play on vacation in March, fell to #76
* Caledonia Golf & Fish Club (Pawley's Island, SC), which I am hoping to play during this year's Myrtle Beach trip, found its way back on to the list at #97
* TPC of Myrtle Beach, which I am also hoping to play during the above trip, debuted on the list at #98
One follower of my blog made a comment that rings so true to me and so many others:
"For a golf addict, having the major publications update their Top 100 lists is like Christmas morning."
I couldn't agree more! Now, just another month or two to wait until GolfWeek publishes their annual updates!
What courses are on your must-play list for 2013?
Revised: 01/11/2013 - Article Viewed 23,846 Times
About: Paul Seifert
Paul Seifert is an often-proclaimed golf addict, and publisher of WiscoSportsAddict, a blog started in August, 2011, as a forum dedicated to reviewing courses and sharing the best of the best in the state with other avid Wisconsin golfers.
Having started playing in Hartland-area leagues at the age of 12, Paul is a classic over-thinker who averages between 80 and 120 rounds per year, and despite carrying a 13-handicap, is committed to the ongoing improvement of his game.
A health care equipment salesman by day, Paul does not claim to be an expert golfer, but is certainly an expert golf enthusiast who loves the sport and enjoys the writing, research, statistics and photography that make for interesting golf conversation.
Contact Paul Seifert:
GolfWisconsin.com - Contributor